- 1 Best Hair Clippers for Black Men
- 2 How Do I Choose Hair Clippers for Black Men?
It may not always be easy to get to a barber. It may not be easy to find a barber you like. To get around this it can be useful to know the best clippers for black men, so you can do the job yourself. African American men have thicker hair than most Caucasian men. It is also typically curlier and more coarse.
Not just any hair clipper will work. We have the best clippers on the market for you. You get the heaviest motors and the sharpest blades so you can be assured of the best cut. With our review guide you get clippers that keep you looking sharp every time you leave the house. No barber needed.
Best Hair Clippers for Black Men
There are many hair clippers to choose from, so how do you know which ones are the best for black men. The list below contains the top-rated hair clippers for thicker African American hair. To make sure you get the best cut, start with one of the clippers below. These are what the professionals use, so you can get the same great cuts yourself.
Wahl Professional 5-Star 8148
One of the top clippers on the market for black men, the Wahl 8148 is cordless and works with professional accuracy. The coarsest hair and beards can be cut efficiently and with ease. With the Wahl 8148, the barber comes to you, giving you a professional cut in your own home. Get the finest lines and natural fade with the smooth taper level. The rotary motor complete with a crunch blade is designed to cut thicker hair effortlessly while giving you the texture you want. You get all you need with these slippers including brushes, oils, stand for recharging, and cleaning tools.
- Use as cordless and with cord
- Crunch blade gives textured look
- 90-minute battery life with rechargeable lithium battery
- Smooth taper for perfect fading
- Battery time decreases after the first use
- Blades are very sharp, so you need to take care not to cut yourself
Andis Master 01557
For a lightweight and unbreakable set of clippers, the Andis Master 01557 is your best bet. The durability of these clippers is what sets them apart from the others. Carbon-steel blades give the closest shave for beards and hair, while the aluminum body prevents breakage. You get different blades so you maintain control of density. These clippers are easy to use but may be slightly technical for beginners. Despite the power and precision, this is one of the quietest and lightweight clippers you can buy.
- Magnetic motor delivers 14,000 cuts per minute
- Unbreakable aluminum body
- Easily handles with one hand
- Ideal for tapering both hair and beards
- The motor can get heated when used or prolonged periods of time
Philips Norelco HC7452/41
Philips is another top name in the world of hair clippers. With the HC7452/41 you get a faster cut as these blades cut twice as fast as others on the market. The cordless clippers feature titanium blades that are self-sharpening and rely on dual-cutting technology. You get a closer and more efficient cut even with thicker hair. You can count on 120 minutes of battery life and the low friction engineering gives you a quiet cut while maintaining skin care via the steel guard.
- Range of lengths within one comb
- Faster and safer cuts with unique dual-cut technology
- Comes with washable blades
- Turbo button feature allows for easier cutting of thick, coarse hair
- Hassle-free single comb
- The steel guard is large making it difficult to cut hair in small spaces like behind the ears.
Oster Classic 76
Many barbers and professional stylists use the Oster 76. It is strong and durable and cuts through the toughest hair. Detachable blades offer a continuous cut and smooth cuts as you transition from 000 to 1.The guard in place makes sure you do not cause cuts or injuries. The case is durable but easy to hold for continuous and comfortable use. You can also use the Oster76 on both wet and dry hair, a feature not many clippers have.
- Strong and heavy motor for professional-grade cuts
- 9ft power cord allowing you to move around with ease
- Cuts wet and dry hair
- Equipped with 3 detachable blades
- The high-power motor heats up quickly
The unique blades of the Panasonic ER1611 set it apart from the rest. The blades are shaped like an “X” so you get a larger surface area and precision cutting. Hairs will never be missed with this design. This cordless clipper has three different attachments allowing you to cut 6 lengths. The dial on the trimmer makes cut selection easy and you can change cutting length as you go. An hour charge will give you about 50 minutes of life and the motor delivers more than enough power for the thickest of hairs.
- “X” shaped blades give a larger surface are
- Comes with a plug converter and trimmer
- Trimmer has strong power for all operations
- Blade can get slippery
- Battery life shortens every now and then
Remington Shortcut Pro Self-Haircut Kit
For clippers that easily fit in one hand, go with the Remington. It is easy to grip and even easier to use. Use it cordless or with the cord and store it in a convenient pouch included with the kit. The blade can be easily removed for cleaning and the washout port makes rinsing easy and maintenance hassle-free. Stainless -steel blades deliver a precision cut every time even with the thickest hair. The curvature of the blade also allows the clippers to easily follow the shape of your head. Get a clean, smooth, and even cut, without missing a beat or a hair.
- Easily maneuvered around the head and ears
- Easy-to-wash clipper blade
- Different length blades for versatility
- Extra-wide blade gets your cuts done quicker
- Guards of the clippers tend to come off during use.
Wahl Clipper Elite Pro Haircut Kit
For clippers that excel at performance and last longer than the rest, pick up the Wahl Clipper Elite Kit. Precision blades cut every type of hair, thin to thick without losing speed. The blades made from the finest steel have longevity and give you a smooth cut every time. The powerful motor and ultra-sharp blades allow you to get the job done 40% faster and the combs are 70% stronger than other Wahl clippers. Complete with a storage case to keep the clippers and any accessories safe and together, this is all you need for a professional cut or shave from home.
- Stainless steel blades stay sharper for longer
- Powerful motor cuts hair faster
- Precision combs give versatility and smooth cuts every time
- Blades may be too sharp for beginners
- Motor gets noisy if not cleaned regularly
Andis Professional T-Outliner
This beard trimmer and hair clipper is another great item from Andis. This is one of the best clippers for all black hair, male and females alike. This unisex clipper is made with durable steel blades and a powerful high-speed motor. The motor is powerful but quiet and runs smoothly to give the perfect cut every time. Use this clipper for wet or dry shaving and the fine teeth on the blades delivers the perfect fades. The T-Outliner is also one of the smaller clippers out there, easy to handle, fitting perfect in your hand.
- Used for facial trimming and head shaving
- Delivers a very close cut
- Runs strong but smooth
- Powerful motor but is very quiet
- Blades are shorter than average, so cutting takes a little longer
- Hair gets trapped in the trimmer and can cause problems if not cleared regularly
Philips Norelco QC5580
This powerful clipper from Philips comes with rotatable blades, setting it apart from the others. A top name in shaving, Philips brings this unique design giving a 180-degree rotation to reach every inch of your hair. There are eight different settings and rounded edges to minimize any irritation. In addition to reaching every hair on your head, the blades are sharp and strong, giving you a smooth cut.
- Rotatable blades to reach all difficult spots
- Curved blades for close and accurate cuts
- Sharp blades get hairs cut quickly
- Corded only and not rechargeable
- Might not provide a close out
How Do I Choose Hair Clippers for Black Men?
With so many clippers to choose from how do you know which is the best? These top-rated clippers are the best place to start. Once you have all the information you can make an informed decision based on your needs. Each set of clippers has unique features and characteristics, so you need to find what best fits you. Key things to consider when narrowing down your search include:
- Do you want a manual or electric set of clippers. Electric is generally easier to work with.
- Corded or cordless? With cordless you get more range of motion, but have to rely on battery life.
- Design and comfort level. Most are heavy duty but are they also lightweight and easy to handle for long periods of time.
- Stainless steel or ceramic blades. Stainless steel blades are easier to keep sharp but they can rust. Ceramic blades last longer but are expensive.
- Are combs included?
- Noise level of the motor. Heavy and powerful motors can be loud and they can heat up when used for longer periods of time.
- Do the clippers come with accessories such as dusters , oils, cleaning kits, and recharging stands. Do cordless clippers also come with a cod in the event the battery runs low?
To maintain a professional and presentable look, men want to have their hair cut and beards trimmed at least once a week. This can be easier for some men than it is for others. African American hair is thicker and more coarse, so black men struggle to get clippers they can use every day. And it is not always possible to get to the barber every week.
We have provided a list of the most reliable and best clippers for black men. These can all be used at home and will provide the same professional and well-styled look you get at the barber shop. Depending on the style and individual needs you have, there is a set of clippers for you and we have provided the best ones for you to start your search.