What Is a Topcoat?
A topcoat is a long coat worn on top of other clothes, typically a suit. It provides warmth and weather protection in colder conditions. Topcoats come in different lengths, such as full-length (reaching the knees) and short (reaching the thighs).
Topcoats can be made from wool, cashmere, tweed, camel hair, and other durable materials. Upper-class men have traditionally worn the topcoat for formal occasions or business.
Today the topcoat is considered a staple in winter wardrobes because it helps to complete an outfit while keeping the wearer warm even in cold conditions.
When to Wear Topcoat
You can wear your topcoat to work, on dates, and out with friends. And the best part is no matter what type of topcoat you get; it can be worn in almost all seasons. You can wear your topcoat over a sweater or hoodie during the fall and winter months while wearing sunglasses for extra style.
Swap your sweater and jeans with a polo shirt and shorts for an easy-breezy outdoor look during the spring and summer months.
How to Wear a Topcoat
– Wear your topcoat on formal occasions such as black tie events, date nights, and job interviews.
– Swap the jeans with slim-fit dark-colored trousers for an extra classy look.
– Get a fitted topcoat to show off your physique and even create an illusion of a slim waistline.
– Layer with casual and formal outfits for added style and warmth in the winter months.
– A black or grey colored topcoat will match almost all outfits. You can never go wrong with this color choice when pairing it with different outfits.
– Wearing a topcoat will protect you from the cold, wind, and dust in the winter months while allowing you to remove it when indoors or warmer temperatures arrive easily.
How a Topcoat Should Fit
Shoulders – The topcoat’s shoulders should rest ever so slightly on the tips of your shoulder. This means it shouldn’t fall too far off or down to your elbows.
Chest – It should be comfortable around your chest area but not too tight that you can’t move with ease underneath it. Sleeves – Your sleeves should end right around where your wrist begins.
The Collar – The collar of your topcoat should be tall enough to cover most of the length of your neck. This will help protect you from the cold and wind when outdoors.
Waist – Your waist area should not have any extra fabric or looseness in it. It should fit neatly around your waist while still being comfortable enough to allow you to access your pants pockets and move around with ease.
Length – For a traditional topcoat, you want it to belong so that it reaches almost to your knees. It should never be shorter than this, even if you have short arms, because otherwise, it’ll look awkward and unflattering.
Cuffs – You can choose to have your topcoat with or without cuffs. It’s up to you and depends on your preference.
The Material – The type of material your topcoat is made from can dictate the level of warmth it provides against the elements. Natural materials such as wool, cashmere, camel hair, tweed, etc., provide a lot of warmth to the human body.
Body Type – Depending on your body type, make sure to choose a topcoat that fits you perfectly. If you are tall and have broader shoulders, choose one more tailored around your physique, while someone shorter would want to go with a slimmer-cut coat.
Sleeves – Make sure that the sleeves of your topcoat go right around where your wrist begins. Otherwise, they’ll hang loosely around your hands and look odd.
What to Look for When Buying a Topcoat
– The topcoat should feel comfortable around your chest, and the sleeves shouldn’t be too long or short on you.
– Aim for lightweight materials like wool, cashmere, and tweed as they provide warmth without bulkiness. Camel hair coats are also a stylish and luxurious choice.
– The color should be versatile enough to pair with most outfits. Darker colors like black, grey, navy, and brown are ideal for the winter months, while lighter colors like camel, sand, white, cream work well during the spring and summer seasons.
Can You Wear a Top Coat with a Suit?
– Of course, this is the perfect time to wear a suit and topcoat combination, especially for job interviews or any formal event. You can also pair your suit with a casual outfit such as a hoodie underneath your topcoat.
– If you don’t want to go with a full suit, then choose slacks in a similar color to your topcoat.
– It’s also possible to wear jeans with your topcoat for a more dressed-down look. You can go with or without a button-up shirt underneath it, depending on your preference.
How Do You Wear Overcoat Casually?
– If you prefer having greater movement in your clothing, then wearing the topcoat over a tee shirt is the right choice for you. Make sure that it doesn’t have any logos on it to make it look too dressed up or formal.
– You can also wear a casual dress shirt underneath your topcoat during the winter months to stay warm.
– Even though it’s not as common, you can wear jeans with your topcoat too. Again, preferably without any logos on the back pockets.
What Shoes to Wear with Topcoats?
– Since your topcoat will be covering most of your outfit, make sure to choose shoes that are both fashionable and functional.
– Opt for dressy yet practical choices such as boots, oxfords/loafers, and brogues. If you’re going to wear a casual shirt underneath your coat, then slipper-style shoes would be the best choice.
– You can never go wrong with a simple black or brown dress shoe.
Can You Wear a Topcoat with Jeans?
– Yes, it’s possible to wear jeans with your topcoat provided you unbutton the coat. This way, it becomes more casual and comfortable while still looking stylish.
– You can also go for a formal dress shirt under your topcoat to make it suitable for work or any formal event you might have to attend during the winter season.
– Always remember to pay attention when choosing a topcoat. Nothing is worse than spending a lot of money on something that doesn’t fit your style and preferences.
– The main things you need to consider when buying a topcoat are the weight, material, body type, and sleeves.
– Topcoats go great with suits and casual outfits, and there’s no reason why you can’t wear one with jeans.
– Try to avoid wearing logos and look for something that makes you feel comfortable when moving around in it.