Pocket watch fashion is an underrated accessory in menswear. This guide will show you how to wear a pocket watch casually, so it becomes part of your style instead of an oddity.
Parts of the pocket watch
There are three major parts to every pocket watch: the chain, the fob, and the watch itself. Of the three, the watch is the most important to you. When buying a pocket watch or fob-style chain for your timepiece, make sure it fits well with your watch face.
The chain is what connects your pocket watch to you. The standard length is about two feet long but shorter, and longer chains are available. Make sure your pocket watch chain is long enough to make you comfortable but not too long that it will get caught on things. Once the chain is connected to your timepiece, you can attach it to either your belt loop or suspenders.
The fob is the decoration on the end of a pocket watch chain. It is typically a bead (sometimes faceted) or a metal decoration. The fob can be as ornate as you like, but it should match your watch face and chain color.
Pocket watches come in two different types: open-faced and hunter case. Open-faced watches have their numbers on an outer ring that rotates to tell the time. Hunter case watches have a closed cover over the timepiece and two or more covers on the back for winding and viewing.
Choosing the Right Style
People tend to think of pocket watches as formal accessories but in reality, and they can be pretty casual; especially in this day and age when everybody is constantly checking their phone for the time. You can wear a pocket watch with just about anything but avoid wearing it with formal, black-tie attire.
How to Wear a Pocket Watch Casually
There are many ways to wear a pocket watch casually, but some are more appropriate than others.
1) If you have an open-faced, brown leather strap timepiece, it is best paired with country or business casual attire for everyday use.
2) A silver bracelet hunter case timepiece looks excellent on formal occasions or a smart casual outfit for business.
3) You can wear a white gold hunter case timepiece on formal occasions but avoid wearing it with black tie attire. That would be gauche.
4) If you have an open-faced, wristwatch-style timepiece, pair it with casual outfits for the best look.
5) Keep the fob on a closed-faced, hunter case timepiece elegant and straightforward, just as you would with any other formal accessory.
6) Smart casual is still casual; therefore, the only time you should wear a pocket watch is on an everyday chain with an open-faced, brown leather strap watch for business.
7) If you have a wristwatch-style timepiece, pair it with casual outfits for the best look.
8) Modern pocket watches are typically worn on a one or two-button brown wool vest and a three-piece suit for a country gentleman look.
9) A pocket watch is on a long piece of silk ribbon with an ornate, white gold hunter case watch and the same vest as above for weddings or graduations.
10) Keep the fob on a closed-faced, hunter case timepiece elegant and straightforward, just as you would with any other formal accessory.
11) If you wear a silver bracelet hunter case timepiece, pair it with smart casual for the best look.
12) If you wear an open-faced wristwatch-style timepiece, pair it with casual outfits for the best look.
How Do You Wear a Pocket Watch Today?
In today’s age, you rarely see a man using a pocket watch. Some people choose to use their smartphone for the time, but many of us still have one in our dresser drawer just in case they find themselves needing it. Although wearing a pocket watch is not common anymore, it can be pretty stylish when done correctly.
How Do You Wear a Pocket Watch in Pants?
The easiest way to wear a pocket watch is by adding it to your everyday outfit. A five-button black wool vest and a three-piece suit with a silver hunter case timepiece and the brown pocket chain work for almost every occasion except the most formal events.
Is Pocket Watches Out of Style?
Do Pocket Watches Hold Value?
Pocket watches are vintage items that can hold value depending on what type of watch you have.
– Closed-faced hunter case timepieces with silver bracelets typically hold their value well because it is still considered a formal accessory.
– Open-faced, brown leather strap timepieces tend to be the least valuable because they are casual accessories.
Silver bracelets and open-faced timepieces are in the middle of value because they were not as formal as closed-faced watches but not as casual as brown leather strap timepieces.
– Gold hunter case timepieces with ornate fobs were considered casual accessories and did not hold their value well.
What Does a Pocket Watch Symbolize?
A pocket watch is a symbol of wisdom, insight, and success. By carrying a timepiece in your vest pocket, it shows that you have accomplished many things and that you are a man with a lot going for him.
Which Side Should a Pocket Watch Be Worn?
You can wear a pocket watch on either side of your vest. However, the most common side is the left. This is because you want to show off your fob so it can be seen more quickly.
How Do You Wear a Pocket Watch with a Clip?
To wear a pocket watch with a clip, attach the fob to your vest’s buttonhole on your left side. Then you can put it back inside or keep it hanging out of your buttonhole for everyone to see.
How Do You Wear a Pocket Watch with a Chain?
Pocket watches are most commonly worn with chains because they allow you to carry the watch around your waist instead of in your vest. The best chain type for this is a brown leather strap with multiple holes because it allows you to adjust the length to suit whatever outfit you are wearing.
Wearing a pocket watch is one of the best ways to make your outfit look more stylish. A well-made timepiece can be considered a status symbol, and having one in your pocket shows everyone around you that you are a man with class. Just make sure that when you wear it, do so casually by adding it to your everyday attire or smart casual.