Don’t know how to fold a hanky for your suit? No problem. This straightforward guide will show you the steps to take so your hanky looks neat in your pocket. Hankies can be a great way to add personality to an outfit, and they also come in handy for wiping your nose or eyes when needed. So why not learn how to fold one today? It’s easier than you think!
How to Fold a Hankie for Suit
1.The Basic Fold
The Basic Fold is a way to fold a hankie for the suit. This fold is most commonly used for standard pocket squares but can also be used for more dressy occasions. To fold a basic fold:
- Start with the hankie face on a flat surface.
- Fold the hankie in half, bringing the bottom edge up to meet the top edge.
- Fold the hankie in half again, folding it from side to side.
Finally, fold the hankie in half one last time, folding it from side to side. Once all four-folds have been made, the hankie should be about the size of a standard pocket square. The Basic Fold is a quick and easy way to achieve a polished look for any occasion.
2.The Triangle Fold
A hankie folded in the triangle fold can work as a pocket square for a suit or sport coat. The first step is to fold the hankie in half diagonally to create a triangle. Once you have a triangle, take the bottom corner and bring it up to the top point of the triangle. This will create a smaller triangle. Take the right corner and bring it over to meet the left corner. The hankie should now be in the shape of a strip.
Once you have a strip, fold it in half length-wise and then in half again. Place the folded hankie into your breast pocket with the point of the triangle poking out. The Triangle Fold is a simple way to add a pop of color or pattern to your suit or sport coat. Thanks to its small size, it can also be used as an alternative to a tie when wearing a suit without a jacket.
3.The Diamond Fold
There are many ways to fold a hankie, but the diamond fold is one of the most popular methods for those who want a more formal look. This method is often used for pocket squares or handkerchiefs worn with a suit.
To fold a hankie using the diamond fold:
- Begin by folding the fabric in half so that it forms a triangle.
- Fold the bottom corner up to meet the top point of the triangle.
- Fold the side edges in towards the center, forming two narrow flaps.
- Fold up the bottom point, so it meets the top point, and tuck it into the pocket of your suit jacket.
The Diamond Fold is a simple way to add a touch of style to any outfit.
4.The Square Fold
A hankie, or handkerchief, is a small piece of cloth that can be used for various purposes, from wiping away tears to mopping up spills. While a hankie can be folded in half and tucked into a pocket, there are also several ways to fold a hankie for specific purposes.
The square fold is one such fold, often used to hold a hankie inside a suit jacket pocket. To do the Square Fold:
- Start with the hankie unfolded.
- Fold the hankie in half diagonally to form a triangle.
- Fold the triangle in half again to form a smaller triangle.
- Fold the triangle in half once more, tucking it into the pocket so that only the corner sticks out. The result should be a neat square shape that stays inside the pocket.
Whether you’re dabbing away tears or mopping up spills, the Square Fold will keep your hankie securely in place.
5.The Rectangle Fold
The rectangle fold is a practical way to fold a handkerchief in a suit pocket, and it is a simple fold that can be done in a matter of seconds.
To do the rectangle fold:
- Start with the hankie positioned so that it is a diamond shape.
- Fold the hankie in half horizontally so that it forms a rectangle.
- Fold the rectangle in half so it is now a small square.
- Fold the square in half diagonally to form a triangle.
The Rectangle Fold is a clean and classic look that is perfect for any occasion.
6.The Oval Fold
The oval fold is a way to fold a hankie for the suit. It is a simple fold that can be done in seconds and produces a clean, modern look. The key to the oval fold is to start with a square hankie. Fold the hankie in half to form a rectangle, and then fold it in half again.
Next, take the bottom corner and fold it up to meet the top corner. Finally, give the hankie a quarter turn and tuck it into your suit pocket. The result is a sleek, stylish hankie that will add a touch of class to any outfit.
7.The Pocket Fold
A pocket square, or hankie, is a small piece of cloth that can be used for various purposes, from mopping up a spill to blowing your nose. While a pocket square is a versatile and practical accessory, it can also be a stylish addition to any ensemble. The pocket fold is a popular way to fold a pocket square for the suit. This fold is often used for more formal occasions, creating a clean, classic look.
To create a pocket fold, diagonally fold the pocket square in half. Next, fold the triangle in half again, ensuring that the triangle’s point is aligned with the edge of the pocket square. Then, tuck the triangle into the breast pocket of your suit jacket, and you’re good to go! The Pocket Fold is a simple yet elegant way to add a touch of style to your outfit.
As anyone who has tried to fold a handkerchief knows, it can be tricky. The fabric is often too thick to fold in half, and the result can look bulky and unpleasing.
The cufflink fold is a way to create a thinner, neater fold that is perfect for suit pockets. To do this:
- Fold first, and lay the hankie flat on a surface.
- Fold one corner over so that it meets the opposite edge.
- Take the side now farthest from you and fold it over to meet the other edge.
- Flip the handkerchief over and tuck it into your pocket. The cufflink fold may take a bit of practice, but once you’ve mastered it, you’ll be able to create a sharp, professional look that is perfect for any formal occasion.
9.The Ascot Tie Fold
The ascot tie fold is a way to fold a hankie for the suit. The ascot tie is wide and long; thus, the hankie needs to be folded so that it can be easily tied around the neck.
A triangular fold is made with the point of the triangle facing downwards. The long side of the triangle is then rolled towards the center, and the resulting cylinder is then rolled up from the bottom. The ascot tie is placed around the neck and tied in a knot at the center front. The ascot tie fold results in a clean, crisp look that is perfect for any formal occasion.
10.The Bow Tie Fold
The bow tie fold is a way to fold a hankie specifically for suits. This method is favored by many because it provides a sleek and polished look that helps to complement the suit:
- Lay the hankie flat on a surface to do the bow tie fold.
- Fold the hankie in half diagonally so you have a triangle.
- Take the two bottom corners of the triangle and fold them up to meet in the middle.
- Flip the hankie over and tuck the loose end underneath.
The bow tie fold is a simple yet elegant way to ensure your hankie looks its best when you need it most.
A well-folded hanky in your suit pocket can make all the difference. It’s a small detail that shows you care about your appearance and take the time to do things correctly. So, follow these simple steps and fold a hanky for a suit like a pro. It’s an easy way to elevate your style and look sharp no matter what occasion you might be attending.