It is legal for anyone to go to the gym, but there are specific regulations that you have to meet before working out. This article will cover everything you need to know about age restrictions and regulations.
How Old Do You Have to Be to Go to the Gym
Anyone can go to a gym at any age. However, you have to follow regulations depending on your age and what kind of gym membership you purchase.
There are no federal laws that restrict who can work out in a gym. Some states have a minimum age of 18 to work out in a gym, but those laws are not federally mandated. There is no federal law regarding the age you have to be to work out at a gym.
The only regulation on age for working out at a gym is if someone wants children under 13 to join a child care facility. In this case, the law requires them to have a license from the Child Care Services Association. For state regulations, you will need to check with your local gym or county/state laws.
Teenagers and Training at a Gym
Teenagers should wait until they are 16 years old before going to a commercial gym. This is because their bodies are still developing, and they need time to strengthen their bones before doing real weight training.
Find a Kid-Friendly Gym
Some gyms specifically cater to children and teenagers. These gyms do not allow adults in them, so you will not need to worry about your child’s age regulations. These kid-friendly gyms include Jungle Jim’s Playland in Dayton, Ohio; The Little Gym; and Kid Kraft.
Kid-Friendly Gym Features
Jungle Jim’s Playland
This play center has a giant obstacle course that is perfect for children. It also has a jump house, inflatable slides, and plenty of toys to keep kids entertained.
The Little Gym
This kid-friendly gym features arts & crafts sessions, tumbling/gymnastics classes, dance classes, and fun sports games.
This kid-friendly gym features a trampoline, climbing wall, and more than 90 toys for children to play with. Several classes are offered at the gym, including gymnastics classes, cheerleading clinics, and karate classes.
Benefits of Regular Exercise for Children
Regular exercise for children has several benefits, but children must wait until they are at least 16 years of age to start training with weights.
· Provides increased strength and increased mental function
· Improves social skills by encouraging teamwork and communication
· Decreases obesity rates
· Provides a sense of achievement
· Strengthens bones by reducing the amount of calcium that is lost from the bones
Exercise Guidelines for Children
Since children are still developing, special care must be taken to prevent injuries. Children must start at their own pace and avoid overworking themselves. Teenagers should not train with weights until they are 16 years old.
· Children can start training at a young age, but they must ease into the program. Pushups and sit-ups are good exercises for children as long as there is no pull on their neck or back. There is also no need to do weights until the child is older.
· Children should not lift more than half of their body weight when doing strength training.
· Children must take a break every five minutes while exercising to avoid becoming exhausted or injured.
· Sports training should be done in moderation since children need time to relax and play with friends.
Overall, there is no age limit on who can work out at a gym. There are some restrictions for children under 13 if they want to join a childcare facility and some state laws that require them to be 18 or older. Kid-friendly gyms also provide children with an opportunity to exercise while limiting the danger of adult supervision.