- 1 When Can You Shower After a Spray Tan?
- 2 How do I Shower After a Spray Tan?
- 3 What is the Best Way to Shower After a Spray Tan?
- 4 Other Showering Tips After a Spray Tan
- 5 What are Some Other After Care Tips I Should Know?
- 6 What Can I Do to Prolong My Tan?
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
A spray tan is a form of sunless tanning in which a faux tan is sprayed onto the body. It can be done for cosmetic purposes or to get a base layer before a swimsuit competition.
When Can You Shower After a Spray Tan?
Typically you have to wait 24 hours after receiving a spray tan before showering, allowing the product to develop and set on your body. The solution contains both DHA (dihydroxyacetone) and erythrulose, one of the main ingredients in self-tanners. These products react with your skin’s amino acids during their process, creating a color change that usually takes about 3 to 5 hours.
How do I Shower After a Spray Tan?
It is recommended to shower off using cool water. Be sure to use a body scrubbing sponge or loofah, as this will help remove the excess color faster and gently work it into your skin without irritating it. If you feel like you need more time for the color to develop before showering, then apply baby oil or lotion to your skin and wait another hour before showering.
What is the Best Way to Shower After a Spray Tan?
While you can bathe or shower immediately after receiving a spray tan, many people indicate that they like to give it about 12 hours before proceeding with their regular hygiene routine. During this time, continue applying lotion to your skin to keep it moisturized during the long break from washing. You can also use baby wipes or other gentle, oil-free cleansers to cleanse your skin.
Other Showering Tips After a Spray Tan
• It is best to avoid using any creams with sunscreen on the day of your spray tan appointment, which can cause streaking and/or clumping on your skin.
• To avoid staining your clothes, try wearing dark clothing to your appointment. Once the tan has developed, do not wear tight clothing as it can rub off other fabrics.
• You can also try using a loofah mitt as you shower, as this will help the color diffuse and fade evenly.
• Remember to always shower in cool water, not hot or warm! Hot water will not only set the solution into your skin but also increase the chance of it drying out too quickly and cracking.
What are Some Other After Care Tips I Should Know?
• Avoid moisturizing your skin before or after a spray tan, as this can affect the product’s development ability.
• Do not exfoliate your skin the day of or the day after receiving a spray tan.
• Eat healthy, well-balanced meals to support your skin’s natural healing process.
What Can I Do to Prolong My Tan?
The DHA solution will gradually begin to fade over five or more days. You can prolong your tan by moisturizing your skin every day taking care not to use any self-tanners or perfumed lotions on the same tanned areas. Applying sunscreen is also recommended when you are going outside to protect your skin from premature fading.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I remove excess spray tan?
After your shower, you will want to apply baby oil or lotion to your skin so that you can work it into your skin for an even fade. If you are having trouble getting rid of the excess spray tan, use a loofah mitt or an exfoliating glove to help the color come off more easily. Wait for at least 24 hours after your spray tan before doing any form of exercise, as this can interfere with its development process.
Can I apply lotion before my spray tan?
You should never apply lotion to your skin before getting a spray tan. Using body lotion to the surface of your skin can cause streaking and clumping, where the solution cannot penetrate your skin because it is already too full of moisture from lotion. This will result in an uneven application of color. However, you can apply lotion after your tan has developed.
What happens if I get my spray tan wet?
You should never get a spray tan wet before it is fully developed. If you do, the solution will wash away very quickly, and uneven blotches of color may begin to appear on your skin. You also want to ensure that you do not get a spray tan wet during the development process, as this can interfere with its color development.
Can I exfoliate my skin before getting a spray tan?
You should never exfoliate your skin before getting a spray tan done. When applying an artificial tan, your skin will already be very soft due to the self-tanning product you are using, so exfoliating it can become tough. You also want to avoid exfoliating your skin before getting a spray tan because this can cause uneven blotches of color on your skin.
Can I use sunscreen?
Yes. You should make sure that you are using an oil-free, non-comedogenic sunscreen, which can be purchased from your local beauty retailer. You should also never apply a tanning lotion on the same areas you have just tanned.
A spray tan is an excellent alternative to traditional sunbathing or tanning beds, but you should keep special care aftercare precautions in mind. Mainly, you have to allow 24 hours before showering for the color to develop and set into your skin thoroughly. After showering, be sure to moisturize your skin and avoid any perfumed creams or lotions. If you feel self-conscious about the way your spray tan is developing, try wearing dark clothing to mask blemishes.