- 1 Why Hire a Male Nanny?
- 2 How to Become a Male Nanny
- 2.1 You also have to have qualifications and references for a family to trust you working with children.
- 2.2 Education is something very important for would-be male nannies.
- 2.3 Take a CPR certification class
- 2.4 Get previous experience working with children.
- 2.5 Create a resume and portfolio so you can show all your previous experience to other parents.
- 2.6 Create a reference sheet of at least five references, including personal and professional references.
- 2.7 Join local nanny agencies where you can post your resume for other parents interested in hiring a male nanny.
- 3 The Advantages of Hiring a Male Nanny
As a woman, if you can’t find the right man that fits your desires and standards, then why not look into the male nannies?
Male nannies are becoming more and more popular as they truly understand what it requires to be a good caretaker for other people’s children. They work hard and dedicate themselves fully to their occupation.
They are not just men that have to take care of children; they are professionals that know how to carry out the job assigned to them.
Why Hire a Male Nanny?
Before thinking about applying for a male nanny, you should ask yourself about the reason why you want to hire one. Here are some tips that can help you make up your mind if this is what you need.
The first thing that might come into your mind is that hiring a male nanny gives more security to your child.
This is only true if you are hiring a male nanny who has no previous experience in taking care of children. The only thing you know about them is what you see on their resume and references provided by the agency they work for.
However, if you already have experience with having your kids around, there is no point since it may cause more harm than good. It’s better to hire a male nanny with previous experience in taking care of children.
Avoid being judgmental about your child’s reactions towards the new male nanny.
You have to understand that it might take some time for them to get used to someone new, but you should always give them some time alone together before making any assumptions.
One of the most common questions that arise when looking into hiring a male nanny is if they can cook or not. You don’t need to worry about this since all you need is someone with good cooking skills, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be your male nanny. That’s because some families like to have a male nanny and a female cook.
Before you hire a male nanny, take your time to read their resume, check the references and ask them as many questions as possible. This way, you can get a better idea of who they are and what type of caretaker they would be for your child. Don’t ever rush into hiring someone you think looks good on paper.
How to Become a Male Nanny
You also have to have qualifications and references for a family to trust you working with children.
Although you might think that your previous experience working with children is enough, this may not be the case.
Education is something very important for would-be male nannies.
You can never go wrong with choosing someone with at least a child development certificate or any other advanced degree in child psychology or education.
Take a CPR certification class
So you can show proof that you know what to do if anything happens.
Get previous experience working with children.
This is the only way to become a good caretaker for other kids. You should also get references from your previous employers or teachers that worked with you in the past, but make sure they are not related to you in any way.
Create a resume and portfolio so you can show all your previous experience to other parents.
You don’t have to worry about its look since this is not what they will base their decision on, but rather if it has all the information they might need.
Create a reference sheet of at least five references, including personal and professional references.
These people will say only good things about you and have no reason to lie.
Join local nanny agencies where you can post your resume for other parents interested in hiring a male nanny.
This way, they can contact you if they need someone with previous experience or not.
The Advantages of Hiring a Male Nanny
- Provides balance for your child in terms of a male presence in their life. Some children might have a lot of female presence in their lives, but no male figure. This is something that you should keep in mind during your decision-making process.
- They can play rough with your child and allow them to experience the opposite sex without being too rough.
- Male nannies tend to stay at least two or three years with the same family.
- They don’t cost as much as female nannies, so you could afford to hire not one but two male nannies if you want or even pay for their education later on.
- They are more active and can play with your kid’s both girls and boys, outside instead of just sitting around and reading to them.
- They don’t stay for too long in one family, so they can prevent any severe bond from occurring between the nanny and your child.
There you go, that’s how to become a male nanny and what you need to know before hiring one. Just remember not to rush anything and take your time so everything will be as smooth as possible.